Friday, December 11, 2009

You say it's your birthday....

41?

Is that even possible? When we met, you were barely 24. Remember how I threw that little surprise 25th birthday party for you in Cagney's on Steinway Street? That was 16 years ago!

Well, in case you didn't hear me the other 83 times I said it today, Happy Birthday. I look forward to spending many more of these birthdays with you.


* * * * * * * * *

I don't think it's any secret that I can easily put my thoughts into written words. For as far back as I can remember, I've been able to write. (Speaking? Is another matter entirely. My mouth generally cannot form a coherent thought. I have a habit of leaving people slack-jawed as they contemplate, "Did she seriously just say THAT?")

And yet, there's one topic that eludes me. It's a subject that rolls around in my head like an oiled bowling ball that I can't get a good grip on. Even now, I'm staring at my computer wishing a magical genie would put the words down for me.

Most of the thoughts I come up with make me gag.

You're the light of my life and your love leaves me speechless.

Ew. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

In our 16 years together, I've purchased countless greeting cards and painstakingly wrote my own personalized message in each one. When I go back to read them, I cringe. Thank heaven I married a man who is un-sentimental about such things....he's thrown most of them away.

And I finally learned my lesson. I don't buy cards. Neither does he. (So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Hallmark.)

I know, in my gut...in my heart...in the deep recesses of my brain, that actions speak louder than words, anyway. So why am I trying so hard to find the words?

I don't know.

Maybe it's because I'm so lucky and so blessed that I want to shout from the rooftops.

Maybe it's because the newspapers are chock-full of philandering dimwits like Tiger Woods and I want to keep that poison from infecting us.

Maybe it's because I never want a day to pass in which I didn't show or tell my husband how much he means to me.

I just feel like there should be SOME way to say it. There should be some words. But I can't find them.

I don't have any fancy way to say it......

I can't imagine being such a sap for anyone else but you!

* * * * * * * * * * * *














Happy 41st birthday...
to the best husband...
father...
friend...
partner.
I'm so glad you're on my team.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Happy birthday Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said it just perfectly. Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't go through this life with anyone else by my side. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two bring tears to my eyes. Who's the sap now?

    Happy birthday, Nick.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!