Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap














Aaahh. Spring break. One week of carefree bliss in the Bahamas. Enjoying the sunset with an icy margarita in my hand and the ocean water tickling my toes. Sleeping until 11 with a pink satin eye mask shielding me from the morning sunlight.

Pffft. Get real.

#1 - I've never been to the Bahamas.

#2 - I hate margaritas.

#3 - I generally can't sit still long enough for anything to tickle my toes.

#4 - PINK SATIN EYE MASK?! HA HA HA! *wipes a tear* Whew, I can't stop laughing!















No, a Casalo spring break is much more...well...let's just call it Earthy, shall we? Our spring break was very Earth friendly.















In our backyard (which, as you can clearly see, was devoid of anything you might call grass...that green stuff behind the kids is mostly weeds), the children got busy with my spoons (don't worry...should you come by for a visit, said spoons have been adequately scrubbed). They dug an impressive hole and demonstrated several times how awesome it was because "LOOK! IT'S BIG ENOUGH FOR MY BUTT TO FIT IN!"















They filled this lovely hole with water. They dug out our pool noodles and blew bubbles into the muddy concoction. They scooped it up to show me how "yummy" the mud pie was. They filled buckets and emptied them again, and again, and again. Even as the afternoon temps cooled, they didn't seem to notice that their hands were nearly blue from the cold. They pretended to be fine, even as the tell-tale shivers told the true story. They were too busy to be hungry or thirsty. No one tattled or fought over nonsense.

The cleanup was a chore. When you go in the house, please for the love of all that is holy, don't touch anything. Walk straight up to the bathroom for a shower! Daddy was mildly horrified by the giant backyard hole. Seriously?! Aren't we trying to grow some GRASS out there?! But really, how many more years will pass before they think digging a hole in the backyard is boooooring. Can I just enjoy the simple fun that comes from a spoon, some dirt, and a bucket of water? We can have green grass when they're in college.

(PS...Thanks to The Hubs for the post title. He popped that one right off the top of his head!)

4 comments:

  1. You should've at least joined them for a nice relaxing mud bath!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you, Chris, for actually allowing them to get that dirty. I shudder at the clean-up. I really try to allow my kids to have fun in the dirt, but I have my limits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy - You'd be amazed at what a relief it is to say "yes" to them sometimes. More often than not, when they ask to make mud, my answer is no. So it's very freeing now and then to say "yes...make the mud...I'll figure out the cleanup later."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't think I could do that...my canned answer for painting (not playing in dirt (OMG) is "wait for your play date!" Are you kidding?!!! Great memories for the kids...cool mom too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!