Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yummy Yummy Yummy I Got Love in My Tummy - Part 2

The kids had an early dinner of cheeseburgers...one of their favorite meals. Nick got home late from work, so I made us a separate dinner. It was a bit of a peace offering on my part....my meals recently have left much to be desired.

Pizza and buffalo wings? That was last night. Is there any wonder why I'm toting around an extra 40ish pounds?!

So tonight, I made a portobello mushroom salad. On the plate, I put a small bed of romaine lettuce. I put the pan-seared mushrooms on the bed of lettuce. Then I layered on fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, tomato slices, and roasted red peppers. I sprinkled on some chopped up kalamata olives and drizzled on the easiest/best tasting dressing EVER.

Balsamic vinegar reduction. HUH? That's a fancy-schmancy way of saying I poured some balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and let it simmer for awhile to thicken it up. (If it simmers too long, it becomes too thick and sticky.) Drizzle it over the salad.

And that's it! No fat, no sodium, 38 calories per tablespoon, no weird list of ingredients and preservatives that no one can pronounce, and easy to keep on hand.

Yummm!

3 comments:

  1. That does sound excellent. You should ask Bruce for his balsamic-glazed-chicken-thing he does so very very well. I think it is pretty easy and healthy, but you'll have to ask the expert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balsamic reductions are the best. thing. ever. I made a garlic-cherry-balsamic reduction and used it on a grilled pork loin once - also yum. We make a lot of our own salad dressings, usually with some kind of balsamic base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Husband would probably like that garlic-cherry-balsamic reduction. I have an unhealthy hangup about mixing the sweet taste of fruit with my cooked foods. (Stop looking at me like that...I never claimed to be completely sane.) For instance, the quickest way to ruin any food is to put a raisin in it. That's just wrong. So I would minus the cherry and make something like garlic-shallot-balsamic reduction. Mmmm...I might have try that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!